Charging and Remissions Policy
This Charging and Remissions Policy complies with statutory requirements, has regard to the Authority’s policy statements on charging and is reviewed on an annual basis.
Activities without charge. There will be no charge for the following activities:
- Education provided wholly or mostly during school hours. This includes the supply of any materials, books, instruments, other equipment and also transport provided in school hours to carry pupils between school and an activity;
- Education provided outside school hours if it is part of the National Curriculum, or part of a syllabus for a prescribed public examination which the pupil is being prepared for at the school, or part of religious education;
- Instrumental and vocal music tuition which is part of the National Curriculum or the first programme in which the whole class engages with the KS2 Programme of Instrumental and Vocal Tuition (Wider Opportunities);
- Instrumental and vocal tuition for children in care;
- Entry for a prescribed public examination including re-sits provided that a pupil has been prepared for it at the school.
- The school may ask for voluntary contributions towards the cost of school-time activities to assist with funding subject to the following conditions:
- Any child of parents who do not wish to contribute will not be treated any differently;
- Where there are insufficient contributions to make the activity viable then the activity will be cancelled
The school may recover the full costs of the following activities but charges will not exceed actual cost.
Educational or other activities provided wholly or mainly outside school hours which are not:
- Part of the National Curriculum
- Part of a syllabus for a prescribed public examination which the pupil is being prepared for at school
- Part of religious education.
(note: this could include before and after school clubs)
- Board and lodgings on residential visits (subject to remission arrangements).
- Cost of entering a pupil for a public examination not prescribed in regulations, and for the cost of preparing a pupil for that examination outside school hours.
- Provision of instrumental and vocal tuition, which takes place during the school day and which has been requested by parents/carers.
There will be no charge for board and lodgings for pupils whose parents are receiving income support, income-based job seekers allowance, family credit or disability working allowance. Charges for other ‘chargeable activities’ may also be fully or partly remitted. Details of any remission arrangements will be made clear when parents are informed of charges for individual activities.