What is a school council?
A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school.
What does the council do?
The school council does a number of things:
Our school council meets, with our Assistant Head present - to discuss and sort out problems. These are issues that the children in the school raise. They may include school fundraising, littering around school and safer parking. Members of the school council are responsible for taking ideas from their class members, feeding back decisions and carrying out the ideas that have been agreed; such as planning competitions and organising events.
What are the aims of the school council?
To make sure that our school is a safe and happy place for all our children.
To have a safe place where children can voice their concerns.
To encourage all children in the school to suggest improvements.
To ensure any suggestions or concerns are listened to and acted upon.
What makes our school council a good one?
A good school council is one that represents the views of all students and gets things done. To raise any ideas or concerns children are asked to place any suggestions in the boxes. All our children have access to the suggestion boxes.
These are some things that make our school council effective:
Regular meetings - arriving on time.
A council that is not too big (10 members)
Listen and show respect to each other.
Make decisions among themselves.
Good communication between representatives and their class
What has our school council done this year?
So far this year, the School Council have already made an impact on making St Augustine's an even better place to go to school.
- Created and put up posters about the 3 Ps in all the toilets
- Served tea and coffee after Mass
- Organised NUD - promotion and collection of the items
- Organised Advent Friends in their classes
- Decisions about Party day - what they wanted to make, games they wanted to play and food they wanted to share,
- Decorated the Christmas Tree
- Looked at fundraising ideas for new playtime equipment
- Organised cooking for the winning certificate people in Golden Time
- Organised for yoga to be carried out in the Juniors
- Pushed for the winning class for attendance each week getting an extra break - termly winner gets to wear their own clothes
- Theme lunch ideas - met with the school Cook - they agreed to build their own sandwich lunch: wraps, bread, buns etc with various fillings and salad options
- Different table settings - tables in blocks rather than rows.